Sunday, September 12, 2010

To Honor Grandparents on Grandparents Day

Happy Grandparents Day to all grandmas and grandpas, nanas and papas, grammys and gramps.

I ran across a quote that seems to capture the essence of being a grandparent; "The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent." - Sam Levenson.

This years Presidential Proclamation makes several key points, not the least of which is “As a country and a people, our grandparents have made us who we are today.”

I cherish the memories of my grandparents; Jim and Bea Snowden of Mt Vernon, Wa and Gustav and Maude Osbrink of Bellingham, WA.  Together, they got us going.  While I could go on forever about what they meant to me, I will simply state two stories to illustrate their impact on my life.

My grandfather was a hard working dairy farmer who milked about 51 head of cows twice a day for nearly fifty years.  He rose every day around 4:30 in the morning to start his day regardless of how he felt.  Those cows did not care if he was sick, didn’t feel good, was having a bad day, or just didn’t feel like it.  He went out to milk them in the cold, rainy days of winter or the heat of summer.   By watching him, I learned the value of persistence and what it means to sacrifice for family.  He was a man that embodied the spirit of “just get the job done, no matter what”.

He was married to my Grandma Bea for over 60 years.  Though they ended up living a simple life indeed by their 70s, I often thought as a kid, if I could have a lifelong happy (though animated) relationship like they had, I would have achieved much.  God willing, I am so blessed.

My Grandmother on my Mom’s side, who we called “Mimi”, was a shop owner in Bellingham, Wa.  The Peter Pan Grocery that she owned, served many a student and others from Western Washington State.  She was a cheerful and somewhat colorful personality who would fascinate my mother as ‘Mimi’ would practice telling jokes in front of a mirror so that she could entertain her friends and customers.  Truth be told, not all of them could be repeated on television.

From her I learned the value of serving people and to approach life with a light, humorous touch.
I loved them all and am grateful for all they brought to my life, too numerous to list here.

Below is a short video featuring both sets of my grandparents.  It is my hope that in honoring my own grandparents, you take a moment to honor your own.  Feel free to add your favorite “grandparent” story at in the comments section here. 



Please let me know that you dropped by and visited.  Click on the rating button just below or leave a comment.

Enjoy!

No comments: